Second day of this month i made stupid yet serious mistake by deleting my email from my own Instagram account. How could that even possible?
I woke up in the morning and checked my Instagram, just like what i did regularly. But suddenly, i was logging off from my account. I was trying about 3 times but Instagram told that i got my password wrong. I chose to use “Forgot password?” button. But there’s no new email from Oct 2. So i scrolled back to Oct 1 (since this email is so trashy).
This what i found, there’s a request to reset my password on Oct 1 on 6.33pm. And at that time, i didn’t even use my Instagram since i was running out of quota. I was wondering who did this but yeah i don’t care. This is why i didn’t get a new email to recover my password.
I used the link to make a new password, i made it (as you can see on the 2nd email from bottom) but i still can’t log in. I tried again until i used another forgot button, still nothing happened. I think i just not fully woke up that time, sooooo later i did the most stupid thing ever on my social media life.
I opened this email and not fully read the instruction of the second link. I thought it read as “If you didn’t change the password of this Instagram account, let us know here” LOL MY BADDDD. I copied the whole link and even pasted it with my own hand in a new tab. Then, the page went white and VOILA! MY EMAIL WAS DELETED FROM MY INSTAGRAM ACCOUNT! I was trying several times to get a link to recover my password but there’s a pop up on Instagram saying “Email is not associated with your account.”
Still on Oct 2
I was spending a whole morning to find a way to recover my account. I read https://help.instagram.com/ first. This is what i found, a broken-heart one. I didn’t link my Instagram and Facebook account, i also didn’t connect my mobile phone to my account.
I didn’t stop there. I replied an email from firstname.lastname@example.org. I sent 2 emails that day, nothing came as a reply.
I was still finding a way to put back my email account to Instagram, until i read this post on Quora. I AM NOT ALONE! THERE’S SO MANY PEOPLE WHO DID THAT STUPID THING TOO! Okay, back to topic. Most of the commenters say something like it’s hard to prove to Instagram that it was my account. But there’s something i try, here it is:
So here’s the way:
- You make a “Report a Hacked Account” on this link.
- Like Mike said, select NO when it comes to “Can you log into the email account listed on your Instagram account?” even you can access it. Coz, basically it is the easier way.
- Next question will be “Email address where we can reach you (and that only you have access to).” Fill it with ANOTHER EMAIL! Coz, in previous question you should state that you can’t access it.
- Fill 4 questions after that.
- The last question will be like “Can you provide more information about how you think your account was hacked? Who accessed your account?” please check My account isn’t hacked, I’m having problems logging in. Let Instagram knows the truth of your side story through the box below it. Coz, basically Instagram just did’t know that you accidentally deleted your email.
It will take about an hour or two to get a reply from Instagram (Don’t make your expectation too high, it was BOT). And the reply looks like this.
“WOW WOW WOW I SHOULD TRY THIS,” I SHOUTED. It takes 10 minutes to reply Instagram with this photo. (Warning: disturbing picture)
My full name is Arsi Agnitasari and my account name is @arsisi. Thank you!
There was nothing come as reply after that day.
Still no response from Instagram. I was getting frustrated. But then i read this blog, he could recover his Instagram just in 3 days! WOW. Even tho the case is different, i tried my best to follow him. I sent another pic of me on Oct 3. Another angle from Oct 2. Just in case the first photo didn’t look like me LOL.
I started to mentioning Instagram on Twitter, i made another Instagram just to send a DM to Instagram, sent another email to prove that it was my account. I also tried this part (here’s the link to Facebook Help Centre if you need it):
I was that desperate. But yeah, nothing happened. The blog said i need to spam Instagram at least for 2 weeks. WELL 😦
I read again the email, i found that “Keep in mind that even if this account doesn’t include any pictures of you or is used to represent someone or something else, we won’t be able to help until we receive a photo that meets these requirements.”
I remember that the profile picture that i use was taken on my office. At that time i was in office and wore the same clothes as my profile picture. So I took another photo and sent a reply again to Instagram.
I was pretty busy and forgot about my Instagram account till i can’t sleep on midnight. Three days after my last email, I received an email saying my account was about to reactivated! I followed three steps that they gave me and OMG I DID IT!
So, here’s a little tips from me to put back your email to Instagram:
- Report hacked account immediately! Just don’t waste your time to mention or send personal email to Instagram coz it won’t work at all.
- Take a proof photo (with code, name, and username) in the same place (or if it is even possible the same position) with your profile picture. It’s easier for Instagram to detect that you are exactly the same person
- Use the almost identical email address! (i don’t know if it works faster lol) but i use ex. email@example.com for my Instagram account, so I asked a recover to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If there is any easier way to recover Instagram after lost all access please feel free to comment below 🙂